Aurorasat has developed in consortium with AR Benelux and other top companies a 10 channel High Power RF system in Ku-Band (10.7 to 12.8 GHz) for the European Space Agency (ESA) to test key component parts of ESA's future satellites. The role of Aurorasat in this project has been the full development of the control software of the system.
A brief introduction
Ever increasing demand for higher bandwidth has resulted in higher transmission power by satellites. It has now become more critical to test the components of the satellite to assure that they are capable of handling the increased RF power and the increasing number of channels.
The problem is that it is not possible to test or replace components on satellites that have been launched. AR Benelux, based in Hazerswoude-Dorp, Netherlands, created a uniquely effective solution. Its "Multi-Carrier Test System" tests the component placed in a vacuum chamber under accurately controlled power and phase conditions and generates the required high RF power.
The results of this "Multi Carrier Test System" have been extremely reliable and the company sees applications for satellite-component design companies around the world as current satellites are replaced with more powerful versions that are able to satisfy the demand of increased bandwidth and channels.
Some specifications of this system are:
- Intuitive software control interface to define Multi Carrier patterns
- Phase error < 3 degrees during the entire test
- Very accurate power leveling within 0.2dB
- Cost effective frequency generation with Arbitrary Modulations
- Flexible design for operation at other frequency bands.
- Multipoint fault detections and operator safety provisions